What is a Squatty Potty?
The Squatty Potty is a custom made stool that neatly fits underneath your toilet seat providing elevation to your feet, placing you into a squatting position for the proper way to poop.
When I mention the Squatty Potty in conversations, I love some of the comments I receive:
- “Huh, what did you say”
- “What the heck is a Squatty Potty?
- “Are you serious?”
- “You must be joking”
- “Does it work?!”
Yet, when they realize I’m not jesting, these same people are very curious about the Squatty Potty.
Did you know that squatting is the natural beneficial way for fecal matter to exit our bodies?
Studies have shown that squatting is the inherent and favorable way to take a poop.
Many cultures around the world , specifically in the east, normally squat when pooping.
I witnessed this first hand while visiting India a few years ago.
I remember the first time I used one of the locals outside potty.
I opened the door to discover a hole a in the ground with foot placement markers so you knew exactly where to squat and not miss…LOL!
Before I owned a Squatty Potty, I used my trash can beside my toilet to elevate my feet. It somewhat aided me to assume the correct posture but wasn’t always as practical or very comfortable to use.
Frequently I experienced difficulty when the trash-can would fall while attempting to balance my feet on it. Also, my feet where prevented from being at the optimum distance apart.
Now that I own a Squatty Potty, I not only have the comfort and convenience of a well-constructed and attractive stool,
I’m also able to fully benefit from the correct alignment of the recto-anal angle and feet placement, therefore I’m experiencing the health benefits of squatting while pooping.
Does the Squatty Potty Work?
In opinion, YES!….For exactly what it’s designed to do….PUT YOU IN THE RELAXED SQUATTING POSITION.
How Does the Squatty Potty Work?
We all have a bend in the colon between the anus and colon which keeps the fecal matter stored until time to eliminate.
Our Puborectalis Muscle squeezes the colon at this bend, much like a kink in a garden hose, keeping the poop in place.
When sitting, this is great for keeping the poop in place Therefore, the western style sitting toilet presents a problem. While sitting, the colon doesn’t fully unbend, thus requiring us to strain and push when pooping.
However, using the Squatty Potty puts you in the optimum position for the Puborectalis Muscle to fully relax for full elimination.
4 Benefits of Using a Squatty Potty (My Experience)
- Ease of Bowel Movements. Once you elevate the feet upon the Squatty Potty stool, the body seems to automatically know what to do. Less pushing and straining has lessened the discomfort of my hemorrhoids…Yep!…I said hemorrhoids…LOL!
- Greater Volume and Faster Elimination of My Poop.Poop…that’s such a funny word to me…LOL! Okay, that’s enough sidetracking. In the past, when sitting down to poop, I assumed not much was present. However, to my surprise when utilizing the Squatty Potty, an increased amount rapidly exited my bowels with ease. Did you know? The more you defecate, the greater volume of toxic material leaves the body thus improving your overall health. The longer feces dwells in the intestines, the greater potential for disease to develop.
- The Joy of Doing Number Two! (In the US, that means “excreting fecal matter”) It’s quicker with less discomfort or complications. In addition, there is peace of mind knowing each time I use my Squatty Potty I am promoting good health for my body.
- Fits the Decor of the Bathroom. My squatty potty stool conveniently slides out of the way under our toilet and doesn’t clash with the bathroom decor. An added bonus that makes my wife happy. Squatty Potties come in various colors, material, designs and sizes.
What Size Squatty Potty Should You Use?
Heights available are the 7 inch and 9 inch and adjustable Squatty Potty.
Your flexibility and height of your toilet will decide which Squatty Potty is best for you.
The suggested height for beginners is the 7 inch height.
Please understand, I am not proclaiming the Squatty Potty to be the panacea cure for every intestinal disorder known to man.
For me, the Squatty Potty has greatly contributed to the improvement of my bowel movement challenges.
As most of my family and friends already know, I am an avid fan of the Squatty Potty.
I recommend what I use and what I honestly believe may benefit you.
Last Words about the Squatty Potty
Let’s face it, everyone poops!
However not everyone poops the proper way.
My wife and I both confidently attest to you that the Squatty Potty really works.
On one occasion, we had a guess at our house who decided with skepticism to secretly try-out our Squatty Potty stool.
After exiting our bathroom, excited and shocked, this guest exclaimed, “It really works! My bowel movement came out with much less effort.”
With that experience, you no longer have to ask that person the question, “Does the squatty potty work?.”
OH!…One Final Thing….CHECK THIS OUT!
A few days after I had purchased and received my first Squatty Potty back in 2012, I received an email from Robert (Bobby) Edwards asking me to contact him.
At that time, Fox2 News in St. Louis was looking for a Squatty Potty representative to interview on the show.
After reading my blog and viewing my YouTube Squatty Potty video, Robert Edwards told me he thought I was the man for the job if I was willing to do it.
I gladly agreed!
The rest is history….
Fox2Now STL Morning Show Interview