I believe the road to better health is found in consuming natural vitamins, minerals and whole foods.
Known for their fresh, clean taste and antiseptic qualities, lemons are a whole food that definitely fit this category.
Lemons are popular for there culinary and medicinal uses. Lemon juice consists of about 5% citric acid which gives lemons their tarty flavor. Lemons are a rich source of vitamin C. They also contain vitamins and minerals such as, vitamin B, riboflavin, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium as well as proteins and carbohydrates.
Please be advised that packaged and pasteurized lemon juice that is found in most grocery stores will not aid in health.
Especially when taken in the morning, lemon water may be one of the wisest things you can do toward building a healthy body,
The value of eating lemons is reported by Jethro Kloss in his book Back to Eden:
“The medicinal value of the lemon is as follows: It is an antiseptic, or is an agent that prevents sepsis [the presence of pathogenic bacteria] or putrefaction [decomposition of tissue]. It is also anti-scorbutic, a term meaning a remedy which will prevent disease and assist in cleansing the system of impurities.”
The Seven Benefits to Drinking Lemon Water Every Day:
- Boosts your immune system
Lemons are high in vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds. They’re high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function.
- Balances pH
Drinking lemon water everyday reduces your body’s overall acidity. Lemons are considered one of the most alkaline foods around. Lemon has citric acid, however it does not create acidity in the body once it’s metabolized.
- Good for Digestion
Lemon can help relieve many digestion problems when mixed with hot water. Due to the digestive qualities of lemon juice, symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn (a teaspoon of lemon juice in half a glass of water), bloating and belching are relieved. By drinking lemon juice regularly, the bowels are aided in eliminating waste more efficiently. It is even known to help relieve hiccups when consumed as a juice. It decreases the amount of phlegm produced by your body. It is also thought to help dissolve gallstones. Lemons are high in potassium and are extremely effective in treating biliousness, a symptom of liver disorder, which causes constipation, headaches, vomiting of bile and loss of appetite. According to Kloss, people with liver complaints should drink the juice of one lemon in warm water one hour before breakfast each morning. It encourages the liver to produce bile which is an acid required for digestion.
- Excellent for Skin Care
The vitamin C in lemons helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. By purging toxins from the blood, lemons help to keep the skin clear. Applying it directly to scars helps to reduce the appearance. As a cooling agent, a lemon can also reduce the burning sensation on the skin.
- Cures Throat Issues
Due to their antibacterial properties, lemons are excellent for fighting issues related to the throat such as, sore throat and tonsillitis. For sore throat, dilute one-half lemon juice with one-half water and gargle frequently.
- Great for Weight Loss
Acts as a wonderful weight-loss remedy. Taking lemon juice mixed with lukewarm water and honey, can help reduce body weight. Being high in pectin fiber, lemons help fight hunger cravings. Also since lemons help to create a more alkaline body, weight-loss occurs much faster.
- Manage High Blood Pressure
Due to the high potassium content, lemons help with controlling high blood pressure
How Much Should You Drink?
For the person in good health and weighs less than 150 pounds, squeeze the juice of one half a lemon (one ounce) into a glass of purified or spring water and drink this mixture twice a day (one whole lemon a day.).
Additional Lemon Remedies and Tips:
- Drink your warm lemon water in coffee cups that has coffee or tea stains. The lemon water will help remove them.
- Grind the used lemon rinds in your garbage disposal to help deodorize it.
- A slice of lemon bound over a corn overnight will greatly relieve the pain.
- A slice of lemon bound over a felon [pus formation on a finger joint] will not fail to bring the pus to the surface where it can be easily removed.
- To relieve asthma, take a tablespoon of lemon juice one hour before each meal.
- For liver complaints, the juice of the lemon should be taken in a glass of hot water one hour before breakfast every morning.
- A teaspoon of lemon juice in half a glass of water relieves heartburn.
- For rheumatism, one or two ounces of lemon juice diluted in water should be taken three times a day: one hour before meals and at bedtime.
- In cases of hemorrhage, lemon juice diluted in water and taken as cold as possible will stop it.
- In excessive menstruation the juice of three to four lemons a day will help check it. Best to take the juice of one lemon at a time in a glass of cold water.
Thanks for stopping by.
Please leave comments below.
Resources: Quantum Balance (EMR Labs): The Amazing Health Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water Livestrong: Benefits of Lemon Water Life Mojo: Top 10 Health Benefits of Lemon Water LaJolla Mom: 10 Reasons Why You Should Drink Lemon Water in the